Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Violin Lesson #1

For those of you who don't know I got a violin from Aaron for Christmas. This past Thursday I started lessons and it was quite an experience. Even though I have three years of piano experience I couldn't remember what was a flat and what was a sharp. In fact, I still am not sure. I have to ask Aaron. I think for my next lesson I'll draw the shapes on my arm and write their names next to it.

I was a little afraid to practice while Aaron was home because I knew it sounded bad but had no choice. After I was done, Aaron said, "It's nice to hear music in the house again." I couldn't help but laugh and say,"Are you serious? I thought for sure I'd need to get you a pair of ear plugs." I guess it's not as bad as I thought. But I feel I still have a long ways to go. Maybe by Christmas I'll be able to play Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

8 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Newsy said...

sharps and flats;ones for on the way up, the others for on the way down.

The youngest child has a violin, but she only plays it when the middle child is playing the saxiphone...we'll be in line to attend your first concert!!!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Jamylou said...

Hey Jill! It's great to hear that you are expanding your horizens. I am very music-illiterate! Maybe someday I'll have the guts to pick up the old guitar and try to remember what I learned.
p.s. I finally got a blog!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger JC said...

Jill, I'm so jealous! Good for you. At least you don't have to learn the C clef (if you were learning the viola, you would!)Congrats- can't wait to hear you play. What piece are learning?/

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Jilb said...

A piece you ask? Ha! Nothing that fancy. Just notes so far. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to play something from Master and Commander or Last of the Mohicans. In the far, far future....

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Hooray!!!!

Violins and Bennie!!!!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger dangeresque dan said...

So you're learning to play the fiddle? That has to be fun. Can I join the band? I can play the jug. Or does Aaron already have that staked? Can you learn Devil Went Down to Georgia? And to Jenny, the C-clef is easy. Both Tenor and Alto. I can teach you all music.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Jilb said...

Dan- you most certainly can play the jug in our band. I'm pretty sure Aaron wants to get out his trumpet. Ha! I would love to play the Devil Went Down to Georgia but I'm sure that's like the hardest song ever. Maybe in a few years..

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger mrswilly said...

I think it's great that you are taking lessons. I still dream of owning my own cello some day. I used to play until I broke one in eighth grade. long story. Anyway, keep at it! Even when baby comes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home