Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Do Not Mean For You To Fight

"Susan, Eve's Daughter," said Father Christmas. "These are for you," and he handed her a bow and a quiver full of arrows and a little ivory horn. "You must use the bow only in great need," he said, "for I do not mean for you to fight in the battle. It does not easily miss. And when you put this horn to your lips and blow it, then, wherever you are, I think help of some kind will come to you."

Last of all he said,"Lucy, Eve's Daugher," and Lucy came forward. He gave her a little bottle of what looked like glass (but people said afterwards that it was made of diamond) and a small dagger. "In this bottle," he said,"there is a cordial made of the juice of one of the fire-flowers that grow in the mountains of the sun. If you or any of your friends are hurt, a few drops of this will restore you. And the dagger is to defend yourself at great need. For you also are not to be in the battle."

"Why, sir?" said Lucy. "I think-I don't know- but I think I could be brave enough."

"That is not the point," he said. "But battles are ugly when women fight."

~C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

*The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is coming out in theaters this December and it excites me! So I had to post something about it.

9 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Mrs. Cournia said...

ooh...gives me good shivers!

Is the photo on the post from the upcoming movie?

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Reinman said...

Boy, you know your post is a winner when most of it is C.S. Lewis.

You should do the end of "Dawn Treader" next (just to make the Col. tear up).

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jilb said...

The photo is from the upcoming movie. I can't wait to see it!

Who knows I might post some more from C.S. Lewis as the time gets near. (maybe even "Dawn Treader")

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Newsy said...

"But battles are ugly when women fight."

Um, did anyone else catch that? Thats interesting, so why do men insist on aurguing with us?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger [ brooke ] said...

DECEMBER 9th!!!! YEAHHH!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger truemvr said...

Since the ultimate theater will not be up and running by then, I propose we make a trip to Bemidji to watch it with you guys... eh eh?

Ooh first comment with blog ID!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Yeah, Yeah, what he said...

...and I do love the end of "Dawn Treader".

Best Narnia Book...Ever.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Jilb said...

You guys should come here to see it. That would be fun!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger JC said...

mike- Cool ID!

I have the entire Narnia series on top of my bookshelf waiting to be re-read in time for the movie.

You are welcome to come down here to see it! We have a THX Theatre!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home